- Cat.1 Original racing bikes, pre-1949
- Cat.2 Original racing bikes, 1950 - 1987
- Cat.3 Restored racing bikes, up to 1987
- In 2018, we will hold the Fourth Annual Concours for vintage and vintage style bikes, "Concorso d'Eleganza". This event is to showcase the best vintage road racing bicycles owned by collectors. This Concours is open to all participants of the ride. Original vintage bikes, restored Vintage Road Racing Bicycles up to 1987 and vintage type Road Racing Bicycles (from 1988 to 2017) can be registered.
The description “racing bikes”, refers to bikes used for both road and track competitions. One prize will be awarded in each category plus an additional prize for the best original bike overall.
The judges reserve the right not, to award the prizes, if the bikes are not worthy, or to award only one. A maximum of 60 racing bicycles and a maximum of 20 post 1988 vintage bicycles will be admitted.
The judges reserve the inalienable right to decide the appropriate category for each bicycle. In deciding, the type of gears will tend to take precedence, over the date of construction.
Register by sending an email to: email@example.com
Registration: April 1 - May 10, 2018
Rules and Registration
Bicycles will be on display in Kusatsu Onsen all day on Saturday, May 19, beginning at 10.30 AM. Each participant is to remain available to the judges, until the end of the competition. Prizes will be awarded during the Cena Eroica (Hero’s Dinner) on Saturday, May 19.
Registration and Selection
You must register, if you wish to take part in the competition. The entry fee is ¥2,000 for Categories 1 - 3 and ¥1,000 for Category 4. You may register online. The following information must be provided in order to be considered:
- Bicycle brand and model Year of construction
- Frame serial number Description of Components
- Frame size Photographs (the following is required) It is important to send good quality photographs, as this will assist the judges in making their decision.
a. View of the whole bike from the gear side
b. Details of the gears
c. Head set, handlebars and brakes
d. Bottom bracket, Saddle and seat post
- Description of Bike. Submit your bicycle with a brief description. If there is a historical significance (race history, prototype, original owner, etc.) for the bicycle please include it in the description.
Judging and Judges
Judging will be conducted by experts in each field/category. The point system will be used. The top scoring bicycle will determine the winner of each category.
The first place of Vintage Class, Vintage Restored Class and Vintage Type Class will receive custom made trophies. The winners will be notified at the pre-ride dinner “Cena Eroica” at Kusatsu Onsen.
Exhibitors, please bring your own bicycle display stand. Ground level display stands only please!!
TO REGISTER, write at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Eroica Japan Concours Awards Artist
The winner of each category will win a special medal designed and hand made by the Italian Marco Varisco (link here).
About the artist: Marco Varisco junior
Son of Italo Varisco, Venetian glass artist born in Murano, Venice, Heir of his family traditions, he keeps the teachings and the traditions of his grandfather, Marco and his father, Italo even though he represents the family continuity of the glass-blower masters, joining with kindness and talent, ancient formulas with new fantasy and enthusiasm.
The three generations are present at the Vatican Museum. The grandfather created for the Pope, the Votiva Lamp in the Sixtine Chapel, Italo, the Plate with the Life-Tree and Marco engraved on a plate the Buranelli Sottoportico. Now Marco is working full-time with his father. They have created together works for the New York Mayor, the King and Queen of Spain, Bill Clinton and road races such as Giro d'Italia..
（Giro d'Italia 2014, Maglia azzurra Jersey and Marco's cup)
（Giro d'Italia 2015, Maglia azzurra's cup)